Short story - A Criminal

A Criminal

Have you ever wondered if you’d be able to live life as a criminal? Every day looking over your shoulder, waiting, wondering. Is today the day? Is the jig up? Can I keep running forever? It feels like a lifetime ago, the day I stumbled off the straight and narrow. I was young and foolish - how was I to know how this would feel? One impulsive moment and my whole sense of self changed, I’m forever tarnished. Once a criminal always a criminal, the proverbial leopard can never change her spots.

The day started like any other, I went through my routine. Shower, brush teeth, dress, I call goodbye as I walk out the door and head to get on with my life. A morning of drudgery, a busy lunch break getting in the gossip, then counting the hours of the afternoon. Nothing suggested the criminal act awaiting me.

That afternoon I headed to meet Jacky, a friend of my mother’s, and we ran a few errands together. Some groceries from the corner shop, drop by the newsagents for the paper, and then that fateful final stop - the pharmacy. This is where it all fell apart.

My eyes fell on them the moment we walked in. The pull was strong. I checked around me - no one in sight, no eyes on me. I needed it, I couldn’t resist, I had to have it… so I took it.

A velvet scrunchie is irresistible to a 6-year-old girl, you have to understand. I’ll repay it. Somehow, I’ll make this right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 Words challenge - day 1

I appear to be reading *all of the books*